RIWG: Developing Pupils’ Problem- Solving Flexibility in KS2/KS3
Who can take part?
This workgroup is designed for KS2 and KS3 teachers in mainstream schools. It would particularly appeal to schools who are sustaining their teaching for mastery approach and looking to freshen the teaching of mathematics.
What is involved?
- Attend 5 face to face sessions, where they will:
- Work collaboratively to explore pupils’ solution strategies
- Design/ adapt tasks to promote pupils’ problem solving flexibility
- Complete 1 pre-attendance task and 4 gap tasks.
- Participate in lesson study to develop pedagogical practices.
- Develop analogous reasoning with whole class
- Pupils use analogous reasoning to to become more flexible problem-solvers.
- Teachers understand how to promote analogous reasoning using an online platform No More Marking to develop pupils’ problem-solving flexibility.
- Teachers will learn how to create a learning environment that develops pupils’ problem-solving flexibility using one-problem-multiple-strategies procedural variation tasks
- Teachers will develop knowledge to share with other colleagues for a school-wide approach
What is the cost?
The Developing Pupils’ Problem-Solving Flexibility in KS2/KS3 project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools/colleges.
*The London Central and West Maths Hub reserves the right to charge a £75 fee for non-attendance to the sessions or for cancellations to any of the sessions with less than 1 weeks’ notice.**
Dates and link to apply:
Session 1 – Tuesday 28th November, 1:00pm-3:30pm at Fox Primary School
Session 2 – Tuesday 9th January, 9:30am-3:30pm at Fox Primary School
Session 3 – Monday 5th February, 9:30am-3:30pm at Fox Primary School
Session 4 – Tuesday 5th March, 9:30am-3:30pm at Fox Primary School
Session 5 – Tuesday 16th April, 1:00pm-3:00pm at Fox Primary School
If you have any questions, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org